Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Are you worried about Layoffs?

It seems that most people think layoffs are more likely to affect others with whom they work; while the last layoff I experienced was from contract work, I wasn't terribly surprised. It wasn't very busy, there were three of us, there was a new manager who didn't know us very well and my strongest advocate was out on sick leave, so it wasn't a shock to me.

I don't know if I'm just more cynical, realistic, or what; in the end, I'm in a stronger position right now. The work I'm doing needs to be done and there isn't someone else on hand with the skills and the time to do it. So I'm fine for now. I'm also working somewhere that doesn't expect to have layoffs, but will have some summer positions that go unfilled and has other positions that have gone unfilled.

No comments: