Monday, April 20, 2009

Keeping Food Expenses Down

While I haven't gone so far as to start with the Ramen Noodles, I did see one of their PR people interviewed on tv a few weeks ago; Ramen is cheap, easy and sometimes those are the only priorities.

I've mentioned before that a church near my house has a free food day and those going for food drive better cars than I do; they're the ones who are overextended and in big houses they can't afford. I also learned that someone at work, who is in a financial management program, has been criticized by others for accepting food that someone else gets from a food shelf. Someone's father gets the food and is given too much so it would otherwise go to waste so why not give part of it to someone who's happy to have it?

My point of view may be colored by my childhood; my grandma lived in a senior citizen's high rise and because of her low income, qualified for USDA programs. She kept the honey, milk and butter but took the cheese and passed it on to us. Her reasoning is that she qualified for it, so she took it.

Some people swear by a combination of shopping at Wal-Mart for non-perishable foods and Aldi for perishables. Aldi isn't that convenient to access where I live so I don't think about it and don't go that often.

There are a couple of other programs that provide lower-cost foods. Angel Food is a national program so may be available in your area. I haven't tried either the local program or national one; I do pretty well with sales, coupons and coupons for buy-one-get-one-free offers at my grocery store.

I'm looking forward to Farmers market season so I can have fresh local food.

No comments: