Monday, July 27, 2009

Realtors

Realtors are good and bad; my understanding, is that they're always working for the seller, whether it's the listing agent or the one you're working with, unless you have a representation agreement. I do know that some are good and some are bad; fortunately, I know someone who was happy with his realtor so may end up working with that realtor if I move forward with this.

Like Mortgage Bankers, Realtors make their money on commissions; back a few years ago, when the housing market was going like gangbusters, there were mortgage brokers who couldn't be bothered with the low end of the housing spectrum; they'd leave 6 loans on the table because the houses were only selling for a couple hundred thousand. Easy money. Instead, they opted to chase the high priced deals for which they had to work harder to find a loan. Silly brokers! They could've taken the low-hanging, less bragworthy fruit and made plenty of money.

I assume that some realtors are the same, though I know my friend is considering selling and has been told to wait; his house is in a good neighborhood that isn't too far from the neighborhoods I'm talking about, where housing costs are much lower.

No comments: