Friday, July 24, 2009

Homestretch, HUD Homebuyer class

I found my Homestretch class on a link from the HUD page. I was able to find the cheapest available option; while all classes shown are HUD approved, prices vary. My particular class is three evenings, though it's also offered on a Saturday. While that may have been easier, I had conflicts on the dates with my location.

Pricing in your city will vary; the first classes I found were $50, which is a lot to determine whether you can afford to buy a house. Then I found some for $45, $35 and one for $25, but for county residents, only $15. It's my county of residence so it's the best location for me to take the class. I live in the suburbs, in an area that's fairly well-off; the urban counties have a lot of other things with which to be concerned, so don't have such a cheap program. I know that often programs of this nature are at least in part funded with grants so it's possible that there was a grant involved that reduced the out-of-pocket cost to attendees.

Other places to seek information; if your state has a Housing Agency of some sort (mine has a Housing Finance Agency), counties, cities and neighborhood associations. All of these entities may have information on financing programs, either for first-time buyers, people working to stave off foreclosure and those who need home improvements, either for cosmetic reasons or for energy efficiency. In addition, there may be foundations or other non-profits that also provide funding; I read a tiny article in the paper that told about the foundation providing funds for the neighborhood hardest hit with foreclosures.

The only issue I have about that, since it's a neighborhood in which I have rented, is that this was a foreclosure neighborhood back before foreclosures were rampant. I lived in a duplex when I was in school, and the house on one side of it was foreclosed upon. The former homeowners attempted to take the dryer with them and created a big mess; natural gas filled the home and the gas company called the Fire Department, which blocked off the street at both ends of the block so they could safely go in, turn off the gas and let that which had accumulated in the house dissipate.

No comments: