Monday, August 10, 2009

Frugality

Leftovers are funny things; my family sometimes goes to restaurants for holiday dinners, in which case there are no leftovers. Which I miss. Other times, someone cooks and there may or may not be leftovers, depending on the type of meal.

One of my friends throws everything out the next day because she's afraid of food poisoning. Very afraid. Me? I'm not so worried about it, while thinking that leftovers do create curious rituals. One that I remember from childhood is turkey bits on bread with gravy. You know, the small bits of turkey that have been rescued from the carcass. With leftover gravy over bread. Not toast. Bread. Mashed potatoes and stuffing are optional if they're still available.

I do try to use leftovers so I don't waste money and frequently cook more than necessary to generate leftovers; I package them in lunch-sized portions for later use.


No comments: