Sunday, July 19, 2009

Income Based Repayment

I found the calculator, unfortunately at a time it was broken but am just not sure about this; currently I'm working for government and if I sign up for this, my Federally Subidized loan will have reduced payments and if I work for eligible entities and make payments for ten years while I'm in this program, the remainder of the debt will be forgiven.

Because my job is temporary, I don't know if this is worth it; I keep hearing rumors that a position will come open but it hasn't yet happened; I have less than four months to go, though it's possible my position would be extended. Because I have a few other questions, I'm not sure this is the way to go.

If you look at the fine print, while the cap is 15% of income, it's based on household income, not individual's income. The problem I have with that is that student debt is owned by the student, not the spouse; in effect, with the higher payments with joint income, the spouse is required to pay on this loan. That doesn't make sense to me. If I change to this, my payments go down a couple hundred bucks; if I were married to someone with a job so had higher household income, my payments would go up.

The interest rates are higher than on my current debt and people who graduated a few years after me have even lower rates so not necessarily a good idea. When employment is so uncertain, this might not be that good of a deal for those of us currently mired under in debt. Especially for those married folks who would have higher payments and higher interest.

No comments: