Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Personal Finance

Mint is a site that helps people track their personal spending. It seems like a good idea, but I'm trying to cut way down on my personal spending right now; my tactic has been not to spend unless I'm required to do so.

So far I'm doing pretty well. I have to do the math this weekend and see what checks haven't cleared at this point; at this point I have about half my paycheck remaining and have paid all bills that are due. I get in trouble sometimes because a bill that's paid with an actual check takes nearly forever to clear. I hate that because I sometimes forget to check on it before allocating money remaining in my account.

A few weeks ago, I miscalculated and had $13 remaining in checking the night before I got paid. That was cutting it a little close when I needed to fill my gas tank. I'm enrolled in a loyalty marketing program at my local convenience store chain and have been using a $100 gift card from the point program. I have filled my gas tank three times, bought a car wash and still have $28 remaining on the gift card. I get a lot of bonus points from re-loading the gift card.

I'm still trying to read the books I already have from the thrift store but may take them to the book reseller this time. I haven't decided whether that's going to be worth the trip; the last time I did that, I got about $7 and it didn't seem worth the effort.

No comments: